- 1 large cucumber (roughly 500g), seeded centre removed
- 1⁄2 red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 100g organic natural yoghurt
- 2.5 tbsps lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- generous twist of black pepper
- Nigella seeds or freshly chopped chives, or any edible flowers such as chive tops, borage or fennel flowers
Simple, light and utterly refreshing, this is cucumber and yoghurt salad is truly a dish for summer. We like to use bee-friendly herbs and flowers as garnishes; try chive flowers, borage, fennel tops or thyme.
This recipe comes from our recipe eBook titled ‘BEES IN A SUMMER KITCHEN’. This collection of six seasonal recipes is all about celebrating the cyclical and symbiotic relationship between our gardens, our pollinators and our plates. With borders and beds abundant with edible flowers and fragrant herbs, we can create food and nourishment for our bees and interest in our cooking. In turn, these humble creatures provide us with cherished and ancient ingredients to take back to the kitchen in the form of thick, sweet honey. It is all about working together.
METHODDIFFICULTY: Easy 10 MINS
Slice (and peel if you wish) the cucumber on an angle into strips about 0.5cm thick. Transfer to a bowl with the red onion and toss together.
Put all of the ingredients for the dressing into a separate bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine. Pour the dressing over the cucumber and toss until evenly coated. Sprinkle with the nigella seeds and edible flowers before enjoying straight away.