Daylesford Slaw with Chilli, Ginger & Tamari Dressing
For the Slaw
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 raw medium beetroots
- 1/4 of a small red cabbage
- 1/4 of a small white cabbage
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 1/2 a red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves only
- 25g cashew nuts, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan and roughly chopped
For the Dressing:
- 100ml dark soy sauce
- 100g clear honey
- juice of 4 large limes
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed & finely chopped
- 2cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled & finely chopped
- 75g cashew nuts
We’ve been serving this Daylesford raw slaw from our deli counters at Daylesford for many years – and it is safe to say that it is a firm favourite! Prepared with lots of fresh herbs, tossed in a thick Asian dressing and topped with toasted cashew nuts, it is packed with flavour and delivers a satisfying crunch. Make a big batch and keep it in the fridge for lunches.
To make the dressing, put all the ingredients, apart from the cashew nuts, into a small pan. Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring constantly, and cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
Put the cashew nuts into a food processor, then add the cooled dressing and blitz until smooth. Keep to one side.
If you have a Japanese mandoline, use the attachment that cuts into curls to shred the carrots, otherwise use a flat mandolin with a medium attachment to shred them lengthways into spaghetti-like strips; or cut them into very fine, long julienne stripes with a sharp knife. Put the shredded carrots into a large bowl. Peel and shred the beetroots in the same way and add to the carrots.
Remove any damaged outer leaves from the cabbages, as well as the central core, and discard. Shred the cabbages very finely and add to the bowl, along with the pepper, red onion, mint, coriander leaves and toasted cashews, and toss lightly.
To serve, drizzle with the dressing, toss lightly and tumble on to a serving platter.