INGREDIENTS(Serves 4, as a side)
- 3-4 sprout top leaves, finely chopped
- 12 brussels sprouts, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 small fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 blood orange, segmented (optional)
To make the dressing:
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- generous pinch of salt
- lots of freshly cracked black pepper
Something green, light and fresh can often be a welcome addition to the table during the festive season and this simple, nourishing sprout top salad offers just that. With gluts of seasonal brussels sprouts and their delicious leafy tops in abundance at this time of year, this is also a wonderful way to harness their raw nutritional value and tender texture.
Place the sprout tops, brussels sprouts, parsley and fennel in a large bowl.
Roughly chop the pumpkin and sunflower seeds and toss half with the ingredients in the bowl.
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing in a jar and pour over the salad, tossing everything together again.
Leave to sit for about 5 minutes to allow the sprout tops to soften a little before scattering over the remaining seeds and the blood orange segments.
Serve straight away.